It’s over!

November 30, 2010

It’s over!

Day 30 of NaBloPoMo is here and with that comes the end of what I found to be an interesting, and sometimes difficult, challenge.

For those who don’t know, in a nutshell NaBloPoMo is an acronym for National Blog Posting Month. The idea came about as a response to the popular National Novel Writing Month in which participants write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. Since writing a complete novel in a month was a difficult commitment for a lot of people to make, the idea to blog for 30 days came about.

This was my first year doing NaBloPoMo. I heard about the challenge from a friend and thought I’d give it a try and I’m glad I did. There were a lot of days when I couldn’t think of anything to write about and those days didn’t feel so good. There were a lot of days when I had something to write about and didn’t feel like writing but I did anyway and those days felt pretty good. I made it through the entire 30 days and I feel good about it all and I’m happy I participated and now I’m on the hunt for the next challenge.

While the sense of accomplishment feels really good, the best thing about NaBloPoMo for me was meeting other bloggers who were also taking part in the challenge. Let me tell you – there are a lot of really good bloggers out there and you can find some of them if you look over at my blogroll. I added them there because I don’t want to forget their blogs just because November is over. Please go and read them!

Thank you to everyone who read my postings during the month and took the time to comment. You all helped to make this a great experience.

= = = =

Since I like stats…

During the month of November for NaBloPoMo I had:

35 total posts
11,190 total words.
Longest post: 681 words on 11/11/10
Shortest post: 2 words on 11/13/10 when the power was out and I posted from a cell phone.
Average posting length: 333.69 words

1. November 30, 2010 9:40 am

Next challenge, you say?

Take a look at #reverb10. It begins tomorrow – December 1 – and runs through the month of December. It’s a way of reflecting on 2010 and manifesting what’s to come in 2011.

November 30, 2010 4:10 pm

I just looked at their website and I like the concept but it almost sounds a little too therapy-ish to me and I’m not sure if that’s all stuff I’d want to blog about. I think I’ll join though and get the prompts and see what happens. I love prompts!

2. November 30, 2010 9:52 am

Congrats!

November 30, 2010 4:12 pm

Thank you and congrats to you as well!

3. November 30, 2010 2:10 pm

WOO-HOO! You did it! I did it! We did it. Yay for us! Wow! We really are something.

You really have a gift for this sort of off-the-cuff writing, Michael. You need to contact a small local paper that serves your area and send them some of your best columns (here in St. Paul there is The Villager). You could call your column Off the Cuff, or A Slice of Life or Man On The Street or A Slice of Wry. I always look forward to your posts!

November 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks, Marianne, you’re very kind and congratulations to you! I like “A Slice of Wry”, that’s a great title. It would be a lot of fun writing a small weekly column for a local paper and maybe…

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )